New technologies make it possible to share content on your phone to your TV. While mobile phones may have sharper and better displays, nothing can still compare to watching movies or playing games on a widescreen TV. If you want to enjoy a big-screen experience you should know how to connect the phone to the tv without HDMI.
If you want to watch content from your phone on your TV, you just simply need to connect your phone to the TV. This is known as screen mirroring and can be done in a number of ways.
The best way to connect your phone to a TV is via HDMI cable. If your phone is without an HDMI port, you can use a micro USB-to HDMI adaptor. If your TV does not have an HDMI port there are methods on how to connect your phone to a TV.
Option 1: Miracast
The Miracast wireless technology allows you to project movies and games from your phone to TV. Here is how to configure your phone and TV.
Make sure your phone and TV are Miracast-compatible. To check if your phone supports Miracast, look for the Screen Mirroring icon. You can also open Display and look for Wireless Mirroring or Wireless Display. If your phone has either one of them, you can use Miracast to connect your phone to a TV.
If your TV supports Miracast:
- On your phone, go to Settings.
- Turn on Screen Mirroring feature.
- Start watching movies, videos and play games on your phone projected on your TV.
If you have an old TV which does not support Miracast, you will need an adaptor or Miracast receiver.
- Connect the Miracast receiver to your TV. Most Miracast receivers will connect to your TV via HDMI. If your TV does not have an HDMI port, get an adapter.
- On your phone, go to the Settings menu. Depending on your phone, Select Screen-Mirroring. You can also go to Settings > Display > wireless Mirroring or Wireless Display.
- You will see a list of all available devices. Select the Miracast Receiver.
- Tap on your selected Receiver.
- Your TV will now mirror movies or any content on your phone.
- When you are done, disconnect Miracast on your phone as it can use up a lot of your battery. To do this, go to the Screen Mirroring Menu, tap Receiver, and tap Disconnect.
The wireless connection of Miracast is between your phone and TV thus you do not need a Wi-Fi connection. If you have an old TV which does not support Miracast, you will need to use an adaptor.
Option 2: Apps
This can be an expensive way to connect your phone to a TV because the connection is established through the internet.
If you are simply browsing the web or viewing some pictures from your phone to a TV, you will not be consuming too much of your internet data. You will, however, be consuming a huge amount of internet data while you are watching a movie or gaming on your phone and projected on your TV.
Screen mirroring via apps also does not require any cables. All you need is a TV with a browser and an internet connection. If you are going to be watching movies or playing games, your internet connection should at least be 2 Mbps.