You will enjoy movies and games better when projected on a wider screen. If movies and games are in your Laptop, you can connect your Laptop to your TV. How to connect the laptop to TV HDMI is a simple and quick process.
To know what cables to use you will need to check the ports in your laptop and TV. Most TVs now come with HMDI ports. Your laptop should also come with HDMI ports unless it is an old or budget model.
How to Connect Laptop to TV HDMI
The easiest and cheapest way to connect your laptop to a TV is via an HDMI cable. An HDMI cable provides top quality sound and HD picture. Connecting your laptop to a TV via HDMI also requires only one lead because HDMI can handle both audio and video.
Option 1: Laptop with HDMI Port
When your Laptop and TV both have HDMI ports, connecting your laptop to TV is a one-step process. All you need to have is an HDMI cable.
If you have one of those small laptops, you may actually have an HDMI port but not know that you have one. Look for the micro HDMI port which is the same size as a micro USB port.
- Plug HDMI cable to the HDMI port of your Laptop.
- Plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port of your TV.
Option 2: Laptop without HDMI Port
If your laptop does not have an HDMI port or a micro HDMI port you will need an adapter to connect your laptop to TV via HDMI. The adapter you need depends on the ports available on your laptop.
Your laptop may have one of these ports where you can connect your HDMI cable with an adapter.
- This can handle audio signals and digital video just as HDMI. You can get a DisplayPort/HDMI adapter to connect your laptop to TV via HDMI.
- DVI Port. Get a DVI/HDMI adapter for the video signal and a 3.5mm male-to-male audio to get audio out of your laptop and into the speakers of your TV. If your TV does not have an analog audio input you may need to connect a speaker to your laptop.
- VGA Port. Get a VGA/HDMI adapter. This is video only so you will need a separate cable or speaker to receive audio from your laptop.
Purchase an adapter suitable for the port you have in your laptop.
- Plug the DisplayPort/HDMI or DVI/HDMI adapter to the suitable port in your laptop.
- Plug in HDMI cable to the adapter.
- Plug the other end of HDMI cable to your TV.
Setting-up Laptop and TV
If your laptop has the latest Windows version:
- Switch on Laptop and TV
- Set your TV to the right HDMI channel. Your TV would normally have 2 HDMI ports (HDMI 1 and HDMI 2). If you plug the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 port, set TV to HDMI 1.
- Your laptop will automatically configure the settings.
If your laptop will not automatically configure:
- In your laptop, go to Control Panel > Display. Adjust Resolution.
- In the Display Drop Down Box, select your TV.
Connecting your laptop to your TV to enjoy a bigger projection for your movies and games is an easy process. The most important thing to know on how to connect the laptop to TV HDMI is to know what ports are available in your laptop so you can use the right cable.